Indiana Governor Bumps Up Phase Three To Start Friday

The start of Stage Three has been pushed up from Sunday, May 24, to Friday, May 22.

(Indianapolis, Ind.) - State regulations have been changed just in time for those wishing to socially celebrate the Memorial Day weekend. 

At yesterday's COVID-19 update from the Indiana Statehouse, Governor Eric Holcomb announced that Phase Three will be moved up from its original date. 

The Hoosier state has been in Phase Two of the Back On Track Indiana plan for over two weeks now. 

With the current data collected, state officials have decided to move the beginning of Stage Three to 12:01 a.m. on Friday, May 22. This change excludes the areas that are still experiencing large numbers of coronavirus cases, such as Lake, Marion, and Cass counties. 

"We have earned the ability to continue to move forward," says Governor Holcomb. 

Stage Three changes will include:

  • Social Gatherings of up to 100 people
  • Restaurant dining rooms remain open at 50 percent capacity
  • Retail stores, malls open to 75 percent capacity 
  • Gyms, YMCAs, fitness studios may open with restrictions
  • Community pools, campgrounds may open
  • Recreational sports practices may begin, following guidelines
    • Contact sports are prohibited
  • Basketball, tennis, soccer and baseball courts/fields may open
  • Youth summer day camps may begin June 1 (this will change inside Stage Three)
  • Raceways can begin competition with no spectators
  • State park inns will be reopening

Governor Holcomb will sign this executive order today. 

This new executive order will also extend the prohibition of turning off utilities and filing mortgage foreclosures, and evictions. The deadline will also be extended to acquire or renew drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, and similar BMV documentation. These will all be extended to July 1. 

Governor Holcomb reminds all Hoosiers that while some restrictions are being lifted, the fight is not over. 

Hoosiers 65 and older or high-risk individuals should remain cautious and limit exposure. Face coverings remain recommended for everyone. 

"We all have a role in this," says Holcomb. "The number one thing you can do is wear a mask when you're around a lot of other people."

Watch the full update here

More from Local News


Events

Crossroads Utilities Sewer Rate Case Public Comments Invited

IURC Hearing March 2 in Lawrenceburg.

Cross Plains Outdoor Warning Sirens Currently Not Functional

Repairs are in progress, but the system is not expected to be operational for the next weather event.

Short-term Closure Planned on State Road 56 in Ohio County

This closure was previously scheduled to take place in mid-January.

Local Sports Report - February 17, 2026

Report missing stats and scores to news@eaglecountryonline.com

Micah Norman Becomes Milan's All-Time Leading Scorer

Norman passed Ryan Hixson on Tuesday night.

Freshman Phenom is First Lawrenceburg Swimmer to Score Points at State

Erin Burgess competed in the 100 Yard Breaststroke.

On Air

Rick Bernius playing
Parker McCollum - Pretty Heart

Joe Nichols What's A Guy Gotta Do? 16:05
Jake Owen The One That Got Away 16:02
Fox News Fox News National Newscast 16:01
Larry Fleet Things I Take For Granted 15:57