Graduation will now be held on Saturday, July 18 at 11:00 a.m.
Update posted on Monday, July 6th, at 1:30 p.m.:
South Dearborn Community School Corporation has announced that graduation will be moved from this Friday, July 10, to Saturday, July 18, at 11:00 a.m.
This change follows Governor Eric Holcomb's announcement of Indiana's modified Back On Track Plan released on Wednesday, July 1, which prohibits social gatherings larger than 250 until July 18.
Additional and specific information will be provided by the SDHS administrators in the near future.
Original story published Monday, June 29th, at 10:42 a.m.:
(Aurora, Ind.) - South Dearborn Community School Corporation today announced the graduation plans to celebrate South Dearborn High School's Class of 2020.
Following Governor Holcomb's most recent guidance and extensive discussion with local leaders, the decision to host graduation on Friday, July 10 has been decided.
At 8:00 p.m., graduates and their families are invited to gather in the high school gymnasium to recognize the accomplishments leading to this momentous event.
To ensure a safe environment, additional guidelines will be implemented, including:
- Graduation is voluntary. Any student or guest who has concerns about their health and safety as related to COVID-19 should not attend. Those graduates who do not attend will still receive their diploma.
- The ceremony will be streamed live for those unable to attend and an edited video copy will be shared with seniors and families. Students, friends and family are encouraged to attend virtually if they prefer to do so or cannot attend.
- Graduates will be limited to 12 guests so that social distancing may be practiced within the gymnasium. Graduates who may need additional tickets will be able to make that request to the high school administration. Tickets will be available starting the week of June 29th, 2020. Students will be receiving additional information from the high school administration regarding tickets and student-pickup.
- The use of PPE and other accepted COVID-19 safety measures is recommended but not required. It is also recommend anyone 65 or older, have preexisting conditions, or who is “at risk” per medical guidelines not attend. Anyone with concerns should consult their physician before deciding to attend.
- Anyone diagnosed with or experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19, or anyone who has had contact with someone diagnosed with or experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19 must not attend.
- Guests will be asked to sit using social distancing standards. Those coming together may sit closer together assuming their own risk, but social distance from the next guest(s).
- Waivers will be required to be signed by graduates, guests and staff to attend. Waivers will be available online to be printed prior to graduation or at the door upon entry into the gymnasium. Please visit www.sdcsc.k12.in.us to print the waiver.
Seniors and their families should be on the look out for additional and specific information from administrators regarding the ceremony.
"Please remember the COVID-19 situation is ever-changing. These plans may be revised if guidance from the Governor or local health department changes as the date nears," reads the South Dearborn High School Graduation Ceremony Announcement.