Sunman-Dearborn students will head back to class on Wednesday, August 5.
(Sunman, Ind.) - Sunman-Dearborn Community School Corporation has announced the official re-entry plan for the 2020-2021 school year after school board approval at the July 9th meeting. This "extensive and detailed" plan includes bringing students back to school on Wednesday, August 5.
“Governor Holcomb, Dr. Box, State Health Commissioner, and Dr. McCormick, State Superintendent, have made it clear that bringing students back to school is important for their overall well-being. They have empowered local schools to establish local protocols to do so safely. I would like to thank the leadership team, staff members, and Dr. Eliason for their assistance in creating this plan,” says Superintendent Andrew Jackson.
The school corporation provided an Executive Summary to outline the full 35-page COVID-19 Re-Entry Plan. Parents, students, and community members are encouraged to visit the COVID-19 webpage for full details of the plan.
S-DCSC created these guidelines based on three principles including:
- We are committed to the growth of the whole child - intellectually, socially, and emotionally.
- We will maintain a safe and healthy environment. However, safety protocols cannot be so extensive as to damage the growth of the whole child - particularly socially and emotionally.
- We will be flexible and agile. The dynamics of COVID-19 are fast changing. We must be able to respond quickly and efficiently.
Schools have made changes and recommendations to best keep students and staff safe. Some of these changes and recommendations include face covering recommendations, cleaning procedures, school calendar, and student transportation protocols.
Face Masks/Face Coverings
- Face masks are not required, however all students and staff are strongly encouraged to wear masks.
- Some staff will be required to wear face masks and additional PPE.
School/Classroom Cleaning and Sanitizing Procedures
- All classroom and school areas will be cleaned and sanitized throughout the day, including; classrooms, restrooms, PE locker rooms, playground equipment, office areas, and school clinics.
- Planned e-learning days will be added during Fall Break and the first week of Spring Break to compact the calendar, and to allow for additional traditional days of instruction to be added to the end of the school year, while still completing the school year by the end of May.
- Additional time will be provided for students who are on vacation during these times.
Student Transportation Protocols
- All buses and transportation vehicles have been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected to start the school year.
- All buses and transportation vehicles will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before route.
- All students will be given an assigned seat and socially distanced, as feasible.
- Students are required to face forward and stay seated in their assigned seats for the entire route.
- No modifications to the school bus (e.g. physical barriers, mounted hand sanitizing stations, mounted temperature scanners, etc.) are allowed on school or special purpose buses for COVID-19 due to conflicts with federal motor vehicle safety standards.
To mitigate the spread of COVID-19, all school attendance policies have been altered to allow for extended absences for students COVID-19 positive, exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms, or has been in contact with someone COVID-19 positive or who is exhibiting COVID-19 positive
Sunman-Dearborn Online Academy
For students and parents who still have concerns, Sunman-Dearborn Online Academy (S-DOA) will be offered to allow a "robust, fully online option."
More information about the S-DOA program can be found at www.sdoa.us.
Additionally, the re-entry plan will cover guidelines, such as:
- Social Distancing Protocols and Healthy Practices - Students
- Social Distancing Protocols and Healthy Practices - Staff/Visitors
- Cafeteria Procedures
- Health Protocols - Students and Staff
- Isolated Clinic Space COVID-19 Symptomatic Students and Staff
- Confirmed Case of COVID-19 on School Property
- Preventative Measures
- Attendance Guidelines - Staff
- Special Education Considerations
- Sunman-Dearborn Online Academy Information
- Co-Curricular/Extra-Curricular Procedures
Find more information, including the full re-entry plan, a copy of the presentation, and a video presentation at https://www.sunmandearborn.k12.in.us/information/covid-19.