SDCSC Announces Preliminary Re-Entry Plan For Upcoming Fall

This preliminary plan will go to the school board for a vote on Tuesday, July 21.

(Aurora, Ind.) - The South Dearborn Community School Corporation has released the preliminary 2020-2021 Re-Entry Plan. This plan will be presented to the school board for a vote on Tuesday, July 21. 

Through a survey, the SDCSC came up with a plan that best fits the needs and wants of parents and guardians. It was learned that 72.1 percent of parents prefer a traditional school setting while the other 27.9 percent would like to see virtual or distance learning. With this information, the preliminary plan offers options to pursue the 2020-2021 school year.

Throughout this re-entry plan, the SDCSC states that the safety of students and staff remains the top priority. 

With that being said students, regardless of which learning they choose, will begin their education for the 2020-2021 school year on Wednesday, August 5. 

“I firmly believe that the best thing for our students is to get them back into the classroom, even if that is in a modified form," says Indiana State Health Commissioner Dr. Box. "We need to do this, not just for their educational development, but also for their physical, their social, and their mental well-being.”

Six principles were created to guide the reopening of school in August:

  1. The health and safety of our students, staff, families, and community is our number one priority.
  2. We commit to ensuring equity of access to meaningful teaching that engages students in purposeful learning.
  3. We commit to providing high-quality, standards based instruction for every learner in all instructional settings.
  4. We commit to adhere to plans that are feasible, effective, and fiscally responsible.
  5. We commit to maintaining approaches that exemplify flexibility and understanding.
  6. We commit to providing clear, open, transparent and timely communication to our parents.

Parents/guardians and student will have the option of traditional online instruction. 

Traditional Instruction

  • Five (5) days a week
  • Offered all year unless a closure is necessary based on guidance from the Governor or Dearborn County Health Department.
  • Social distancing will be enforced when possible.
  • High School students may have the option to take selected courses online. 

Online Instruction 

  • Five (5) days a week
  • Offered all year with the option to return to in-person instruction at the end of each semester (K-8) or trimester (9-12)
  • Instruction by SDCSC teachers using competency standards and curriculum maps
  • SDCSC teachers and administrators oversee instructional practices
  • Instruction will include synchronous (live) and asynchronous (recorded) models
  • Students may participate in home school activities per IHSAA guidelines

E-Learning

  • Only used in the event of a corporation closure based on guidance from the Governor or the Dearborn County Health Department
  • Students will continue learning from home and will be taught by their classroom teacher/s
  • Instruction will include synchronous (live) meetings in small and large groups as well as independent work

In the plan, the corporation goes on to explain the certain precautions that will be taken due to the level of spread in the community and school. 

Any and all recommendations are subject to change pending guidance and direction received from the CDC, Dearborn County Health Department, or the Indiana Department of Education.

Find the full 2020-2021 Re-Entry Plan here. 

More from Local News


Events

BCEF Annual Campaign To Launch Career Network For Bulldogs

The Batesville Community Education Foundation (BCEF) will be conducting its annual fundraising campaign from August 15 through September 8.

Milan Community School Corporation Releases Plans For Spectators At Sporting Events

These guidelines will continue to be updated as guidance is given by the State of Indiana, IDOE, and IHSAA.

Rising Sun Municipal Utilities Reminds Customers Moratorium Expires Today

Customers that are delinquent and/or in arrears will be disconnected from service on Thursday, August 27.

AUDIO: Milan Indians Team Preview 2020

Milan has plenty of talent coming back after a (9-3) season a year ago.

Beacon Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine Welcomes Dr. Todd Grime

Experienced Physician, Dr. Grime, will join the local practice to serve Lawrenceburg and surrounding communities.

Harrison AD: Battle Of I-74 Football Game Will Not Happen This Year

Harrison's revised 2020 football schedule includes six games against Ohio teams only.

On Air

Your Hometown Radio Station playing
Jake Owen - The One That Got Away

Keith Urban Blue Ain't Your Color 23:39
Restless Heart Bluest Eyes In Texas 23:34
Runaway June Buy My Own Drinks 23:31
Randy Houser Goodnight Kiss 23:27