Lawmakers Critical Of Governor's Billion Dollar Toll Road Deal

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM

By Mike Perleberg and Benjamin Yount, 24/7 News Source

Lawmakers are upset that Gov. Eric Holcomb has unilateral control over spending of $1 billion from a renegotiated Indiana Toll Road contract.

Indiana Statehouse

(Indianapolis, Ind.) - It’s not that they are angry about building new roads.

The handful of lawmakers in Indianapolis who are upset with Governor Eric Holcomb’s new road building plan are upset because he didn't consult them first.

Holcomb’s office said Tuesday the governor has the power to decide how to spend the $1 billion windfall from the new toll road contract. The governor could put the money toward roads or other projects including trails and rural broadband access.

According to The Northwest Indiana Times, the renegotiated deal allows the privately-operated Indiana Toll Road to toll trucks 35 percent more.

Last week, Holcomb decided to delay the start of tolling on interstates until at least 2025, when a potential second term for the governor would end.

"I am deeply disappointed in the governor," State Representative Ed Soliday (R-Valparaiso) told The Times. "You can't go preach that we have a 20-year, fully-funded infrastructure plan, the best in the nation, and then slowly but surely cut it away."

Soliday is the former chairman of the House Roads and Transportation Committee. He said the state fuel tax revenue is projects to fall significantly in 2024 due to vehicles becoming more fuel efficient and electric vehicles becoming more popular.

“Without a way to replace that money Indiana's road funding plan quickly falls apart,” he said.

Democrats are also not happy about the governor’s sole discretion over the $1 billion toll road payment. State Rep. Greg Porter (D-Indianapolis), a member of the House Ways and Means Committee, told the Associated Press that lawmakers knew nothing of it.

State Senator Ryan Mishler (R-Bremen) said at a Tuesday meeting of the State Budget Committee that lawmakers may look at legislation to re-appropriate the toll road payment and make sure there is a check on the governor's office going forward. 

Lawmakers will reconvene in January to craft Indiana’s next two-year state budget.

RELATED STORIES:

Gov. Holcomb Won't Impose Interstate Tolling

Report: Company Contracted To Study Indiana Interstate Tolling

More from Local News


Events

Speed Limit to be Reduced on U.S. 50 in Versailles

The change will be made official next week.

Lawrenceburg Police Receive Reports of Sextortion

Parents are encouraged to talk to their children about sextortion.

SEIMA Project 2026 Musicians Grant Now Accepting Applications

The program supports musicians ages 14-19 to achieve their dreams and goals.

Local Sports Report - February 18, 2026

Lawrenceburg and South Dearborn boys basketball were both in action before they meet on Friday night.

Local Sports Report - February 17, 2026

Report missing stats and scores to news@eaglecountryonline.com

On Air

Your Hometown Radio Station playing
Justin Moore - Lettin' The Night Roll

Montgomery Gentry Lonely And Gone 13:26
Lee Brice A Woman Like You 13:23
Hank Williams Jr. I'll Think Of Something 13:20
Alan Jackson Good Time 13:14