Maj. Gen. Courtney Carr has been named in a lawsuit.
Army Maj. Gen. Courtney P. Carr, adjutant general of the Indiana National Guard, speaks to a crowd on July 27, 2018, at Fort Wayne, Indiana. Photo by National Guard.
(Indianapolis, Ind.) - The head of the Indiana National Guard is retiring amid controversy.
Governor Eric Holcomb announced Monday that Adjutant General Courtney Carr's retirement was effective Friday.
“Upon my recommendation, Maj. Gen. Carr has announced his decision to retire,” Holcomb said in a news release “I received his resignation letter Saturday, and I thanked him for his service to our state and country.”
Carr has been named in a lawsuit filed in Marion Superior Court on August 1. In the lawsuit, Shari McLaughlin accused Carr of using his position to keep an extramarital affair quiet, retaliating against her with false accusations and intimidation. McLaughlin resigned last year.
Carr had been the guard’s adjutant general since 2015.
“I want to thank Governor Holcomb for the distinct opportunity to serve as the adjutant general,” Carr said in a statement. “It has been my honor to lead the exceptional soldiers and airmen of the Indiana National Guard.”
Brigadier General Timothy Winslow is taking over running the Indiana National Guard on an interim bases, Holcomb announced. During times of peace, the National Guard is commanded by the governor.
Winslow is a career Army National Guard aviator and was promoted to brigadier general in May.