The average airfare at the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport in 2018's third quarter was $310.
A concourse at the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport. File photo.
(Hebron, Ky.) - Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport is boasting the cheapest airfares in the region.
The U.S. Department of Transportation released its 2018 third quarter airfare rankings Thursday, showing CVG has the lowest average domestic airfare among six nearby airports at $310.
That ranks the airport 83rd nationwide, the best ranking since the federal reports started in 1995.
A regional comparison of airports' average fare:
- CVG ranked #83 – average fare $310
- Indianapolis (IND) ranked #61 – average fare $340
- Columbus (CMH) ranked #46 – average fare $356
- Louisville (SDF) ranked #26 – average fare $384
- Lexington (LEX) ranked #9 – average fare $421
- Dayton (DAY) ranked #8 – average fare $421
Plenty of travelers are taking advantage of the more affordable tickets. In January 2019, CVG set a new all-time monthly record for local passengers with a total of 278,440, a 5.3 percent increase year-over-year.