Most recently, LPD has received reports of scammers wanting victims to buy gift cards to solve a problem.
(Lawrenceburg, Ind.) – The Lawrenceburg Police Department is urging area residents to be aware of scams this holiday season.
On Wednesday, LPD received another report of someone wanting the victim to buy gift cards to solve a problem.
Police say you should assume a scam is happening if you receive a letter, email, phone call or text that states the following:
- A check that you didn't expect, from a bank that you don't patronize
- You won a large sum of money, but you need to pay the taxes first
- You won a vehicle, but you need to pay the taxes first
- Your friend, family member, or long lost cousin is in jail and they need bail money
- You owe back property taxes, income taxes, or inheritance tax
- You have a warrant from the IRS, Federal Marshals, or some other law enforcement agency.
For more information, visit (1) Lawrenceburg Police Department - Indiana | Facebook.