The Beecher Presbyterian Church is celebrating 190 years of service.
(Lawrenceburg, Ind.) – The Beecher Presbyterian Church celebrates 190 years of service. On Sunday, December 15th, the Dearborn County Historical Society presented Beecher Presbyterian Church with a certificate to honor this impressive mark in the church’s history.
A brief history about Beecher Presbyterian Church:
The Lawrenceburg church was started in 1803 by Samuel Bainbridge, but not actually organized until September 28, 1829. Then known as "First Presbyterian Church," the building that once occupied 229 Short St. was built around 1831. Upon completion, the basement was used as a school-room and later converted into the “Lawrenceburgh High School” in 1833 by Z. Casterline.
The renown pastor, Henry Ward Beecher, came to the church in 1837.
In 1846, the parsonage was built adjoining the church. In April of 1882, the original church was deemed unsafe and was taken down and a “more beautiful and commodious house” was built for the cost of $11,000.
In 1904 the first pipe organ was installed, which had to be hand pumped. This was replaced after the 1937 flood with a new electric pipe organ, which is still in use to this day! The stained glass windows were installed around 1909. Sometime between 1920 -1930, the name of the church was changed from “First” to “Beecher Presbyterian Church.”
Through it’s 190 years of service to this community, Beecher Presbyterian Church’s mission has and continues to be revolved around the intention of welcoming diversity through partnerships, building unity, and connecting with the community.
Information for this article was compiled by Pastor Bob Northcutt from the 150th Anniversary Booklet.