The use of a traveling vote centers model has greatly reduced the need for poll workers in Switzerland County.
(Switzerland County, Ind.) - This election season, Switzerland County voters can cast their ballot at traveling voting centers.
The county is the only one in Indiana using the traveling voting centers model. Traveling vote centers have been used in each election in the county since 2010, with approval from the Indiana Secretary of State's Office.
“Everyone seems to have adapted to it by now,” says Clerk of Courts Gayle Sullivan.
The vote centers model has reduced the cost of administering elections in Switzerland County. Because the county does not have to open multiple polling places on Election Day, only a total of five poll workers are needed for the entire election, says Sullivan.
Polling places will be set up at different spots in the county starting October 25 and continuing through November 5. Here is the schedule, according to the Switzerland County Clerk of Courts:
- Thursday, October 25 - Moorefield Firehouse, 8:00 a.m. until noon.
- Friday, October 26 – Moorefield Firehouse, 2:00 until 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 27 – East Enterprise Firehouse, 8:00 a.m. until noon.
- Monday, October 29 – East Enterprise Firehouse, 2:00 until 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 30 – Patriot Town Hall, 8:00 a.m. until noon.
- Wednesday, October 31 – Patriot Town Hall, 2:00 until 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 1 – Florence Firehouse, 8:00 a.m. until noon.
- Friday, November 2 – Florence Firehouse, 2:00 until 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, November 3 – Switzerland County TEC Center in Vevay, 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 5 – Switzerland County TEC Center in Vevay, 8:00 a.m. until noon.
Switzerland County voters can still cast an early absentee ballot at the Switzerland County Courthouse now until Monday, November 5. Early voting is available Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday, and Fridays from 8:00 until noon and 1:00 until 3:00 p.m. each day. Thursday early voting at the courthouse will be open from 8:00 until 11:30 a.m. Saturday early voting at the courthouse is open October 27 and November 3 from 8:00 a.m. until noon.
Those keeping with tradition and voting on Election Day, Tuesday, November 6 will have to do so at the Switzerland County TEC Center. The only polling location in the county on Election Day will be open from 6:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Dearborn County is investigating the possibility of using a vote centers model starting in 2019. Unlike Switzerland County, Dearborn’s vote center plan would not have a polling place set up at various locations ahead of the election. Read more on Dearborn County’s plan here.