The Tate Street Trailer Park in Lawrenceburg.
Mike Perleberg-Eagle 99.3
(Lawrenceburg, Ind.) - The City of Lawrenceburg has a solution for residents of the recently sold Tate Street Trailer Park.
The owners of the trailer park agreed last month to sell it to the Lawrenceburg Redevelopment Commission for $890,000. Residents were initially told they had to move out within 30 days, but the city and owners Rod and Kay Ballart have agreed to extend that deadline to mid-January.
Three trailers moved out of the mobile home park Thursday. Two more are scheduled to relocate next week, Kay Ballart said.
During a city council meeting Thursday, council unanimously approved using Lawrenceburg Main Street funds to help relocate 12 of the park’s residents. Eleven owners of mobile homes manufactured in 1995 or older will receive $3,500 for their trailers. One owner whose trailer was built in 1996 will get $4,500. The total cost came to $43,000.
The money was offered from main street director Pat Krider. She said the organization had $50,000 in funds previously marked for a concrete program and suggested council redesignate the money as an economic development relief fund.
Lawrenceburg City Manager Mario Todd suggested increasing the amount for the trailer acquisitions to $49,000 to cushion for any incidental costs that may arise. Council agreed and Lawrenceburg Redevelopment Director Grant Hughes said checks should be sent out by the end of next week.
Those 12 trailer park residents will also receive help from Lawrenceburg and the Aurora-based Heart House in finding new homes and getting back on their feet. Council had previously approved paying the residents’ first month of rent and utilities as well as a deposit. The utility assistance will only apply to those residents who move within the City of Lawrenceburg.
Some residents at the meeting seemed happy with the agreement. Others were still upset with the whole situation.
One Tate Street Trailer Park resident said he’s put $13,000 into his trailer and wants to remain in Lawrenceburg to keep his kids in their current schools.
“I don’t feel like starting all over again,” he told council. “I’m not accepting this.”
A woman said her brother, who has a one-year-old child and a newborn baby, has lived in the trailer park for five years. She questioned the timing of the sale.
The mobile home titles will be transferred to the Ballarts, who will be responsible for demolishing the trailers off-site. Ballart told council that some of the trailers in usable condition could still house needy families.
“I’d hate to see them go to waste,” she said.