(Holton, Ind.) – Indiana’s Department of Homeland Security says 15.47 tons of debris has been removed from Holton.
Much of that is material which used to be people’s homes before an EF3 tornado ripped through town on March 2. Ripley County Emergency Management officials previously said the tornado caused about $6 million in damage in the county.
Ripley County Emergency Management said 18 homes and 14 businesses in the county were destroyed by that tornado. More than 80 other buildings across the county suffered at least some damage.
The amount of debris gathered in Ripley County pales in comparison to what has been gathered in other counties hit by tornadoes. More than 800 tons has been moved in Clark County and 100 in Scott County.
Local officials had particular concerns regarding debris torn from the former Holton School. The department said testing on that debris for asbestos came back negative.
People across the tri-state are still finding debris in their yards blow from miles away by the tornadoes.
Items such as checks, marriage licenses, documents, and other keepsakes which originated in Holton should be returned to the Ripley County Recorder’s office at 115 N. Main Street, Versailles, Indiana. The office is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call (812) 689-5808.
On Friday, President Barack Obama approved the governor’s request for federal aid in Ripley and Jefferson counties, as well as four other southern Indiana counties.
Storm victims can apply for assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA, or going to www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
Victims can also meet with FEMA representatives in person from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the Holton Community Center.