(Aurora, Ind.) – An Aurora family was able to safely escape a house fire which damaged thousands of dollars of their belongings Sunday morning.
Aurora Firefighters were called to the home of Eric and Stephanie Toney at 6738 West U.S. 50 about 2:45 a.m. Sunday, said department safety officer Kevin Turner.
Along with their children, the Toneys exited the residence. When firefighters arrived, they found a fire in the home’s basement.
“An interior fire attack combined with horizontal ventilation, a technique where windows are opened and a positive pressure fan forces air into the house to push out heat and smoke, was commenced, and the fire extinguished in a matter of minutes,” Turner said.
Crews remained on the scene until about 6:30. Nobody was hurt.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the basement from an electrical malfunction.
Fire damage was limited to the basement, but there was smoke damage throughout the house resulting in about $20,000 in losses.
The family is currently staying with relatives.
Aurora firefighters were assisted at the scene by were Dillsboro Fire Department, Lawrenceburg Fire Department, Aurora EMS, Aurora Fire Department Auxiliary, Duke Energy, and the Dearborn County Sheriff’s Department.