(Lawrenceburg, Ind.) - New Census numbers released Thursday show southeast Indiana is growing at a faster pace than the rest of the state, but diversity was lacking.
Dearborn, Ohio, Ripley, Switzerland, and Franklin counties combined for 9,222 new residents between 2000 and 2010 according to the census data presented by the Indiana Business Research Facility at Indiana University. The region’s total population was 118,693 in 2010, up by 8.4 percent from 109,471 in 2000.
Dearborn County remained the five county region’s most populous county by adding 4,000 new residents, good for growth of 8.5 percent during the decade.
Of the Dearborn County’s 50,047 people, 97.5 percent were white with the remaining 2.5 percent either black, Hispanic, Asian, multi-race or other race. Hispanics added 236 new residents to total 502 in 2010.
The City of Lawrenceburg was Dearborn’s most populated with 4,685 people. Greendale had 4,296 residents followed by Aurora at 3,965.
The region’s fastest growth occurred in Switzerland County, which jumped 17 percent – 1,500 new - to just over 10,600 residents. The county ranked sixth in the state for its population rate. Only 2.7 percent of the county’s residents were minorities.
Ohio County increased by nine percent to 6,128 residents in 2010. All but 126 were white.
County seat Rising Sun’s population was counted at 2,470.
Ripley County population rose 8.7 – or 2,295 residents - to 28,818 total. Helped mostly by Hispanics, the county’s minority population grew 70 percent over the decade to 387.
The City of Batesville held on as southeast Indiana’s largest city with 6,033 residents.
Franklin County added 936 people which equated to 4.2 percent growth to 23,087 residents. About 2.1 percent were minorities, although the county’s Hispanic population more than doubled to 210.
The region grew despite not adding any major employers over the past decade. That could be because many people commute to work in Ohio or Kentucky.
Statewide, Indiana grew by 6.6 percent with 403,000 new Hoosiers taking the state’s population to 6.48 million. Fifty-seven percent of the state’s growth occurred in Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan and Shelby counties.
"The upshot of this shift is that central Indiana will gain greater representation in the state and federal legislatures and also garner a larger share of public resources," said Matt Kinghorn, IBRC state demographer.
Hispanics and Asians accounted for the largest minority growth. The state’s Hispanic population grew 82 percent to 390,000. Asians numbered 102,000, a 74 percent increase from 2010.
As for neighboring states, Ohio tallied 11.5 million residents for a modest 1.6 percent increase. Kentucky outpaced Indiana by growing 7.4 percent to 4.3 million. Illinois has 12.8 million residents, up 3.3 percent.
Michigan was the only state in the nation where population declined, falling 0.6 percent 9.9 million.
Local census data for surrounding states will be released on or before April 1, 2011.
Indiana Business Research Center Census Data - http://www.stats.indiana.edu/topic/census.asp