(Indianapolis, Ind.) – There could be a new line item on your grocery bill if a new piece of legislation in Indiana becomes law.
House Bill 1521 introduced by Rep. Shelli VanDenburgh (D-Crown Point) seeks to have customers pay $.10 per plastic bag used beginning in 2012.
VanDenburgh told the Lafayette Journal and Courier her research showed that 380 billion disposable plastic bags are produced annually in the nation. Of those, fewer than 5 percent are recycled.
For each dime collected, 25 percent would go to the Indiana Economic Development Corporation for the green industries fund while the remaining 75 percent would go to the Indiana Department of Education.
If the bill becomes law, grocers would be required to sell reusable bags.
The legislation must still make it to a committee hearing before coming up for a vote in the House.